Samosa is a popular Indian snacks recipe. Traditionally Samosas are fried triangular shaped Indian puff pastry which is stuffed with potatoes and peas. Samosa is basically a tea time snack, but once you learn how to make Indian samosa, you can enjoy it at any time. Samosas are very popular street food, which is available with a number of variations in every part of India. In Veg samosas the filling is made of potatoes, peas and pomegranate seeds with a tangy, spicy flavor, whereas in non-veg samosas filling can be made of cooked shrimps or keema. Samosas are served piping hot, with sweet and sour chutney.
Here is popular Indian snacks recipe especially for parties. I have made this potatoes and Peas samosa recipe, which I call mini samosas, because of its shape. This bite size snack will bring add a little bit spice to your party. Here I’ll tell you how to make Indian samosa, with detailed recipe and images.
Let us have a look at detailed Indian Samosa recipe:
Ingredients to make Samosa:
For the pastry:
All purpose flour: 4 cups.
Semolina: 1 cup.
Oil: 4 tablespoons+ for deep frying.
Carom seeds: 1 teaspoon.
Salt: to taste.
Warm water: to knead the dough.
For the filling:
Boiled potatoes: 4
Boiled peas: ½ cup.
Pomegranate seeds: 2 tablespoons.
Chopped green chili: 1.
Ginger Paste: ½ teaspoon.
Salt: to taste.
Garam masala: ½ teaspoon.
Dry mango powder: ½ teaspoon.
Red chili powder: ½ teaspoon.
Turmeric powder: ½ teaspoon.
Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon.
Coriander: a few leaves(chopped).
Method to make Samosa:
1. In a large bowl take all purpose flour, semolina, salt and carom seeds.
2. Now add oil and mix well so that he flour looks like sand.
3. Now add warm water and knead tight dough.
4. Cover the dough with a cloth and keep aside till you do other preparations.
1. In a bowl mesh the potatoes and add all the ingredients of the filling and mix well.
2. Potatoes need not to be perfectly meshed.
1. Make a small ball out of the pastry dough.
2. Flat the ball with the help of a rolling pin and make thin sheet.
3. Apply some water at the ends. It will act as glue.
4.Poke a fork in the sheet.
5. Cut the sheet into half.
6. Put some filling on it and fold as directed in the images.
7. Press the ends softly so that the filling does not come out while frying.
8. Make all mini samosas.
9. Now heat oil for frying.
10. Deep fry samosas, till they become light golden in color.
11. Drain excess oil by putting the samosas on tissue paper.
12. Serve piping hot with mint coriander chutney or any other chutney.
Expert’s Tip(s) to make mini samosas:
1. Add oil and mix well in the flour before adding water; this will help in making the samosas crispy.
2. You can always use readymade pastry sheets, which are available in the market to make samosas faster.
3. Do not fry too many samosas at once.