Here is a flavourful recipe straight from Rajasthan, India. Methi ki lonji is a side dish, which is has a perfect balance of sweet and spicy flavours. Methi Dana or Fenugreek Seeds have many health benefits. This Healthy fenugreek seeds recipe is basically a kind of chutney. Lonji is made with raw mango too; it is a kind of sweet and sour chutney.
Learn how to make methi ki launji and make this tempting sweet and sour dish at home. Note that for Dana methi lonji recipe you have to start preparation a night before. To avoid Dana methi lonji recipe taste bitter; boil the fenugreek seeds nicely and wash it thoroughly. Traditionally jaggery is used in healthy fenugreek seeds recipe but you can use powdered sugar or caster sugar in healthy fenugreek seeds recipe.
You can enjoy this easy sweet and sour chutney recipe with hot puri (fried flatbread) or chapatis. This special Rajasthani methi recipe has dry fruits ingredients, for the intense taste. Once you are done with the preparations ittakes just a few minutes to prepare this special Rajasthani methi recipe.
Let us learn how to make Methi Ki Lonji:
Preparation Time: 7-8 hours (to soak fenugreek seeds).
Cooking time: 5-7 minutes.
Ingredients to make Methi Lonji:
- Fenugreek seeds: 1 cup.
- Sugar: ¼ cup.
- Dried Red chili: 8-10 (you can use less too).
- Dried mango: 3 small pieces.
- Dried dates: 10-15 pieces.
- Raisins: 2 tablespoons.
- Red chili powder: 2 tablespoons.
- Salt: to taste.
- Coriander powder: 4 tablespons.
- Turmeric powder: ½ teaspoons.
- Dried mango power: 2 teaspoons.
- Oil: ¼ cup.
- Bay leaves: 3-4
- Nigella seeds: 1/4 teaspoon.
- Asafetida: 1/4 teaspoon.
- Cumin seeds: ½ teaspoon.
Method to make methi launji:
1. Put dried red chilies, dried dates, raisins, dried mango in wate and soak overnight.
2. Chop dates, chilies and dried mango into length.
3.Soak methi(fenugreek seeds) in water for 3 hours.
4. Wash fenugreek seeds with water.
5. Boil fenugreek seeds in 6 cups of water.
6. Wash methi thoroughly.
1. Heat oil in a pan.
2. Add cumin seeds, nigella seeds, asafetida, bay leaves.
3. In a bowl take red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt and mix with water.
4. Pour this spice mix into pan.
5. Add soaked ingredients.
6. Saute for a while.
7. Add boiled fenugreek seeds or methi dana.
8. Turn the flam slow and cook till fenugreek seeds are perfectly cooked.
9. Add sugar and dried mango powder.
10. Cook for 2 minutes. Dana methi lonji is ready.
Expert’s tips to make Methi Ki Lonji:
1. You can also use sprouted fenugreek seeds for this.
2. Sugar can be replaced with Jaggery in Dana methi lonji recipe.
Recipe sent by: Asha Pareek
Asha Pareek is an Indian housewife. She lives in Agra (uttarpradesh). She is vegetarian and loves to cook vegetarian food for her family.