Malai kofta is rich Indian curry with potato balls stuffed with cream. Here I will tell you, how to make malai kofta, so you can enjoy these restaurant style indian curries recipe at home. Here is malai kofta step by step recipe in an easy manner. Indian recipes made with cream have a sweet and spicy flavor with a creamy texture. This malai kofta full recipe can be cooked on any special occasions or even on weekends.
Let us have a look at malai kofta ingredients and full method:
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 35-40 min
Ingredients to make Malai Kofta:
- Boiled Potatoes: 250 g
- Salt: to taste
- Black pepper: to taste
- Grated Tofu or cottage cheese (Paneer): 75 g
- Corn flour: ¼ cup
- Cream: 5 tablespoon
- Oil: for frying
- Breadcrumbs(optional): 2-3 tablespoon
- Clarified butter or ghee: 2 table spoon
- Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Cardamom pods: 2
- Cloves: 2
- Chopped onion: 1 medium size
- Chopped tomatoes: 1 medium size
- Chopped green chili: 2
- Ginger paste: ½ teaspoon
- Grated paneer/tofu: 25 g
- White Sesame seeds paste(safed til): 2 teaspoon
- Cream: ½ cup
- Milk: 1 cup
- Salt: to taste
- Red chili powder: to taste
- Turmeric: ¼ teaspoon
- Coriander powder: 2 teaspoon
- Chopped Coriander: for garnishing
Method to make Malai Kofta:
1. Mash potatoes and mix salt, black pepper, tofu/paneer and breadcrumbs (optional).
2. Make small balls out of this mixture.
3. Now stuff cream in the balls. (Refrigerate the cream before using)
4. Add water to corn flour and make batter.
5. Heat the oil for deep frying.
6. Dip the balls in batter and deep fry till balls become golden brown in color.
7. Drain excess oil by putting the balls in a tissue paper.
Koftas are ready.
1. Heat clarified butter or ghee in a pan.
2. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, cardamom pods, cloves.
3. Add green chilies and onion. Fry onions till they become golden in color.
4. Add ginger paste, tomatoes.
5. Add cream and cook for 2-3 min at low flame.
6. Add salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and mix well.
7. Add sesame seeds paste.
8. Blend this mixture and make smooth paste.
9. Cook this paste again for 1 minute and then add milk and grated tofu/paneer.
10. You may add water in needed.
11. Cook for 5 minutes.
12. Gravy is ready.
13. Add koftas in the gravy right before serving.
14. Garnish with fresh cream and coriander.
Serve with chapati or your favorite bread and salad.
Expert’s Tip(s) to make Malai Kofta:
You can also add cashew paste in the gravy, while cooking, this will make gravy richer.