On this independence day of India, I thought why not bring tri colors on the plate. Here is healthy rawa idli recipe, which is a flavourful breakfast, and has low calories. This colorful idli recipe, has no added food colors, the tri color comes from natural ingredients. Rawa Idli is a quick recipe which is also best lunchbox recipe for kids, and can be enjoyed a room temperature as well.
I have tempered colorful idli recipe, you can also serve it without tempering, and it is an optional step. Once you learn how to make tempered idli at home, you can make it for picnics, school lunch box and also serve as back to school meal. Serve healthy rawa idli recipe with coconut chutney or samber. Tri color recipe for idli, looks so attractive and tastes delicious, so it will attract kids and they will not avoid eating lunch at school.
The colorful idli recipe is made with spinach, saffron and all other healthy and easily available ingredients. Make Tri color recipe for Idli at home and celebrate Independence day in a different style.
Let us have a look at ingredients and method to make healthy Tri Color Rawa Idli:
Preparation Time: 30 minutes.
Cooking Time: 15 minutes.
Ingredients to make Tri Color Rawa Idli:
- Semolina (sooji): 2 cups.
- Curd: 1 ½ cups.
- spinach puree: ½ cup.
- Saffron (dissolved in water): 1 teaspoon.
- Green chili: 1 (finely chopped).
- Baking soda: 1 teaspoon.
- Salt: to taste.
- Oil: 1 tablespoon.
- Mustard Seeds: 1 teaspoon.
- Cumin seeds: 1 tablespoon.
- Curry leaves: 4-5 leaves.
- Asafetida: 1/4 teaspoon.
Method to make Tri Color Rawa Idli:
1. Mix semolina, curd,salt in a bowl.
2. Add water if necessary, the consistency of the batter should be thicker than cake batter.
3. Now add baking soda to the batter.
4. Make three equal parts of the batter.
5. In one part mix chopped chilis, spinach puree and mix well.
6. In second part mix saffron water.
7. Keep the third part as it is.
8. Keep the mixtures aside for minimum half an hour and maximum 2 hours.
9. Now grease idli maker plates or muffin mold and pour idli batter in it.
10. In a steamer, steam idlis for 15 minute on high heat.
11. After 15 minutes take the idlis out of the molds.
12. Now for tempring heat some oil in a pan, add asafetida, cumin seds, mustard seeds and curry leaves. Let the seeds and leaves splutter. Pour the tempering on idlis.
13. Serve tri color idli with samber or coconut chutney.
Expert’s Tips to make Tri Color Rawa Idli:
1. Steam idlis for 15 minutes on high heat, do not turn the flame at low or medium mark. Do not put any kind of weight on the steamer.
2. Let the idlis’ temperature turn a little down before you take them out of the molds.