Lemon rice is a famous south Indian food. Lemon rice is a perfect recipe for picnic or back to school meals. This rice recipe for kids’ lunch box is full of flavours and nutrition. Lemon Rice in south Indian style have intense lemon flavor, as it has lemon juice and lemon zest both. You can make this healthy lemon rice recipe with freshly boiled rice or even with leftover rice. Lemon rice is best recipe with leftover rice, especially when you have to make a quick meal. This quick and easy rice making idea is so useful for working women.
When you are in hurry and do not want to skip your meal make this tasty lemon rice, which is a fulfilling meal itself, you can also enjoy this special rice recipe with curd or coconut chutney. Make this quick rice recipe for kids lunch box, and you will find the lunch box empty after school. Ingredients for healthy lemon rice recipe are easily available at home. There is nothing fancy in quick and easy rice making idea, that’s home-style cooking. Let us learn how to make lemon rice in south Indian style, and I am sure you will make this comforting meal again and again. It is just one pot recipe, easy to cook and delicious to eat, this proves how comforting lemon rice is!
Let’s have a look at the recipe and ingredients to Lemon rice in south Indian style:
Preparation Time: 5 minutes.
Cooking Time: 5 minutes.
Ingredients to make Lemon Rice:
- Boiled Rice: 250g.
- Lemon juice: 1 tablespon.
- Lemon zest: of 1 lemon.
- White lentil/ urad dal: 2 tablespoons.
- Fennel: ½ teaspoon.
- Raisins: 1 tablespoon.
- Peanuts: 1 teaspoon.
- Salt: to taste.
- Red chili powder: 1 teaspoon.
- Turmeric: ½ teaspoon.
- Cumin: 1 teaspoon.
- Mustard seeds: 1 teaspoon.
- Dried red chili: 1.
- Chopped green chili: 1.
- Asafoetida: 1 pinch.
- Curry leaves: 5-6 leaves.
- Oil: 2 tablespoons.
Method to make Lemon Rice:
1. In a pan heat oil. Add white lentils and sauté for a few seconds.
2. Add cumin, mustard seeds and curry leaves and sauté let them splutter.
3. Add dried red chili, fennel and mix well.
4. Add chopped green chili, and lime juice.
5. Add cooked rice, red chili powder, salt, turmeric powder and lemon zest.
6. Mix rice nicely. Add peanuts and raisins and mix well.
7. Cover the pan and turn the flame at low heat.
8. Cook for 1 minute.
9. Garnish with chopped coriander.
10. Serve with curd or rayta or you may also enjoy Lemon Rice with coconut chutney.
Expert’s Tip(s) to make Lemon Rice:
You can also make this recipe with leftover rice.