Daal Pakwan is a popular Sindhi main course. Daal is Lentils, which is tempered with spices, onion and tomatoes. Pakwan is round crispy fried flat bread. Sindhi Daal Pakwan is one of its kind recipes, which is simple yet blend of various flavours. All the Dal and Pakwan ingredients are very common and are usually available in kitchen all the times. Traditionally and here also, Pakwans are fried, but if you are on dieting or do not like fried food you can simply bake the Pakwans. So make this unique festival special main course recipe on this diwali, I am sure your family will love it.
This easy Dal Pakwan recipe has actually two recipe, one is for Daal or lentils, in which daal is boiled and tempered, and for Pakwaan thin flat bread is fried in oil. You can keep Pakwaans ready before your guests arrive, because on room temperature Pakwaan becomes crispier. Let us now have a look at Dal and Pakwan ingredients and this delicious festival special main course recipe.
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes.
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes.
Ingredients to Make Daal:
- Split Bangal Gram: 150g.
- Split yellow lentil: 150g.
- Water: 4-5 cups.
- Clarified butter: 3 tablespoons.
- Turmeric: 1 teaspoon.
- Salt: to taste.
- Red chili powder: 1 tablespoon or to taste.
- Cumin seeds: 2 teaspoons.
- Asafetida: ½ teaspoon.
- Mustard seeds: 1 teaspoon.
- Onion: 1 chopped.
- Tomato: 1 chopped.
- Green chili: 2 chopped.
- Ginger: ½ inch piece (chopped).
- Garam Masala(a blend of spices): 1 teaspoon.
- Coriander: to garnish.
Ingredients to make Pakwan:
- All purpose flour: 150g.
- Wheat flour: 100g.
- Salt: to taste.
- Carom seeds: 2 teaspoons.
- Oil: 5 tablespoons + for frying.
- Water: to knead dough.
Method to Make Daal:
- Wash both the lentils.
- Add water, salt, ginger, turmetic and a little clarified butter.
- Cook in a pressure cooker on medium heat.
- When daal is cooked add more water if necessary but do not mesh lentils.
- Now we will prepare temparing for Daal.
- In a pan heat clarified butter.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seds and asafetida.
- When the seeds start to splutter add onion and green chili.
- Cook till onion become soft and light golden in color.
- Now add tomatoes, red chili powder.
- Pour this tempering on cooked lentils and mix softly.
- Add Garam Masala.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
Method to make Pakwan:
- In a bowl mix all purpose flour and wheat flour.
- Add salt and carom seeds.
- Add warm oil and mix with your fingers, so that the flour looks like sand.
- Add water and knead tight dough.
- Now take a small ball out of this dough and with rolling pin roll this ball and make thin flat pakwan.
- Poke a knife into this flat bread.
- Heat sufficient oil in pan and fry pakwan from both sides till it becomes light golden and crisp.
- You can keep pakwans and serve with hot daal.
- Serve daal pakwan with chopped onion and roasted or fried green chilies.
Expert’s Tips to Make Daal Pakwan:
- Lentils will get cooked within 15 minutes, do not overcook it and mesh it.
- Make pakwaan as thin as possible.